Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Doctor Who #Nine S01E01: Rose

So change of plans. I've started Doctor Who officially because I went to a friend's place where we had a marathon of good television and Cabin in the Woods. WATCH IT BY THE WAY because that is quality, amazing horror. Usually I'm a massive wimp when it comes to horror movies, but for Joss Whedon I'd do anything. We then watched two episodes of Doctor Who which I shall review right now and soon later. Then I introduced Laura to Firefly, another amazing and wrongly cancelled Whedon program. I strongly recommend all of what I just mentioned especially for sci-fi fans and anyone who loves humour combined with their drama and horror.

I intended recording my first reaction to watching my very first episode of Doctor Who  but something went wrong and it didn't record properly. So sadly this is only a text review of it.

SO my first experience with Doctor Who, played by Christopher Eccleston. It was a great! I really didn't know what to expect with Doctor Who and I still really don't. It was eventful and fast paced and bizarre.

I didn't expect them to start with Rose, who I knew was to be the "companion" of this series. By the way I just have to note, Billie Piper has perfect hair. No matter how you style it, it looks amazing. But I like how they captured London from Rose's perspective as just a boring life that happened in a boring routine, day by day. That's partially what made her so rashly jump into the TARDIS with the Doctor I guess. But I'll touch on that later.

Things became scarier a lot more quickly and a lot more in general than I expected. I didn't think it'd be so creepy with the darkened, lonely halls and those OMFG THOSE MANNEQUINS. I WAS JOKING WHEN I SAID THEY'D COME TO LIFE. JESUS I DIDN'T WANT THAT TO HAPPEN. THIS WASN'T PART OF THE BANDWAGON I WANTED TO JUMP O-HOLY SHIT MANNEQUIN CHILDREN. Nup. This is plain scary. They have no faces! And they move like robots. And they somehow shoot crap out of their stiff-plastic-no fingerprinted-murderous hands!

At the moment I still do not have any idea of what the Doctor actually is. His poetic and existential speech about how he could feel the earth and everything did nothing for me except provide romantic tension between him and Rose. Which I'm kind of half digging by the way. Is his role to protect Earth? Why is he speaking on behalf of it to the plastic goop? I wasn't as interested in the main villain of plastic goop as I was in the establishment of characters. I don't think they've mentioned what that blue glow stick thing is. I've seen it around on gifs and tumblrs but I don't know what it is.

By the end when Rose practically runs into the arms of the Doctor and the Tardis, I was pretty shocked she would blatantly go off like that. She had just met man who possesses strange objects, knows about random alien life and lives in a police box thing that can transport anywhere it wants. Why would she leave her albeit boring life that was still full of loved ones including a mother and a boyfriend? Though time travel IS tempting. I hope they explore this a bit more.

In the end though it was a great introduction. I have a lot of questions that probably will go unanswered for a while but I'm excited nonetheless to go on.


  • LOL AT THE SHODDY PHOTOSHOP JOB OF THE DOCTOR IN DIFFERENT PHOTOS
  • I actually guessed that Wilson was dead and the mannequins would come to life or that the arm would try to kill them. I hated the fact I was right
  • I didn't expect the show to get as dark as it sort of did when people died and the mannequins came to life for the first time.
  • hahah Google: Doctor. Yeah, because that is specific as it gets. And then the first result: Doctor Who? I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE, WRITERS.

No comments:

Post a Comment