Sunday, November 18, 2012

Game of Thrones Chapter 1: Bran

This is nice. I like where this is going. Well to be honest I have no idea where it's going. But I do like what has happened so far.

Introduced to the Stark's/ Snow. Everything so far is surprisingly pleasant. Except, of course, the beheading Gared from the prologue. The chapter leaves unanswered specifically why he was executed though. Or I completely missed it. Something about him being a wildling or a deserter? I'm also still very unclear about what a wildling is. They seem to rape, pillage and other piratey things. I'm guessing they're savage pirates or something like that? Why is Gared one of them? Wasn't he described as an honourable old knight who served for over 40 years or something? WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THE WHITE PEOPLE KILLED ROYCE AND WILL? I think I'll never know....

Anyways the beheading is described from the perspective of Bran, a seven year old Stark. Apparently seven years old is the appropriate age to witness executions. Lovely. OH OH OH. I GOT A PREDICTION RIGHT! And I was joking and being desperate at that point too. So they said there were NINE summer's and Bran had experienced seven. So I'm taking that time does indeed work differently in WINTERFELL, the name of the land (I got a lot of questions answered in this chapter), and seasons go for years and years. Regardless of what season it is however, it seems that the weather and terrain is still harshly cold and dangerous. Which means that when Winter comes (whenever the hell that is) it is going to SUCK.

So the men of the Stark family and some of their entourage are introduced and I'm liking all of them. Robb and Jon seem to be opposites but get along really well. I find this really sweet, especially since Jon Snow is a bastard and isn't fully part of the family blood-wise. They seem to be are really close and good unit of people who are comfortable with each. This is a good thing which means only death or tragedy or sadness is going to befall them by next chapter right? IF JOSS WHEDON TAUGHT ME ANYTHING, IT'S TO BE SUSPICIOUS OF JOY AND HAPPINESS.

I admire Eddard so far. The leader is Eddard right? I'll call him lord king for now until I know I'm right because no one really calls the leader by his name. When he explains why the King executes rather than an actual executioner, I admire it. It's very respectful and honourable to take the full force of responsibility by making the one who sentences them to death to also actually do act of killing him. It shows what kind of tradition and family the Starks come from.

By the by I really like Jon Snow. I don't know why. He's just likable. He stood up for Bran and PLUS saved the pupsssssss. Anyone who saves pups is good in my book. That whole scene and section about the Direwolves was really interesting too. I have a feeling it's foreshadowing something because of the significance of the animal and how it "coincidentally" had the same number of females and males as the Stark children. There was even an albino one for Jon!

Guuuuuuuuyyyyyyys. UBER CAYOOOTEE. It felt weird typing that....

So yeah, digging the Stark's!


1 comment:

  1. These reviews are great. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete